HASAQ

Discussion in 'Devotions' started by Cloudwalker, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

Hasaq

by
    Cloudwalker

Originally posted on Bible Forums on Jun 12th 2008 at 11:30 AM

One of my favorite hymns was written by George Matheson. When he was a teenager the doctors told him he was going blind. Not to be denied he continued his studies and eventually finished his graduate seminary studies in spite of the fact that by this time he was completely blind. His fiancée returned his engagement ring with a note reading "I cannot see my way clear to go through life bound by the chains of marriage to a blind man." He never married. He adapted to the life of a blind man but never recovered from his broken heart. He became a powerful and poetic pastor but occasionally his heartache flared up, as it did at his sister’s wedding. It reminded him of the love he had lost. Instead he turned to the unending love of Christ and penned these words: "O love that wilt not let me go, I rest my weary soul in thee; I give thee back the life I owe, that in thine ocean depths its flow may richer, fuller be."

What does this have to do with John 3:16? Everything. In Greek there are 4 words for love. I won't bother to name them as most who may read these words either know them or can find them easily enough. In Deut. 10:15 we are introduced to still another word for love that gives us a completely different picture. The word in Hebrew is Hasaq. It speaks of a love that is tethered love. A love that is attached to someone.

Max (Lucado) uses an illustration of a child attached to a parent by one of those child leashes. This gives the parent control over the child, helping with security and protection, and also signifies an emotional attachment, "This child is mine. He may be a banshee, but he is mine."

Now put God in the place of the parent and us as the child. God tethers (hasaq) Himself to us, not only to give us security and protection, but to say "This child is MINE. No matter what this child does he/she is mine and will remain mine. I cannot love him/her more, nor will I love him/her less."

How does that make you feel? Loved? Cherished? Protected? Safe? Even if there are storms and problems all around you? It should. If you have accepted Christ as your savior, you are a child of God. You are His, and nothing you can do will change that.

2. Timothy

Timothy Administrator Staff Member

I guess it makes me feel unworthy but happy, safe, protected, cherished, and of course Loved! Thanks for this Dave!