Gossip: what EXACTLY is it?

Discussion in 'Controversial' started by devilslayer365, Sep 2, 2017.

1. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

So, I'm kind of confused. I sometimes hear Christians say stuff like, "We shouldn't talk about this. It's gossip." And it often times involves matters that are public knowledge, not confidential stuff. Stuff that's actually true and not falsehoods about another person. So, what exactly makes it "gossip?" What is "gossip" from a biblical perspective?

2. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Gossip typically involves unconfirmed reports, rumours, etc. If you're talking about information that's public knowledge, then the concern isn't gossip, but motivation (e.g., being vindictive).

Why? Who you gossiping about? ;)

3. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

On gossip, it's destructive force. Two days ago I heard a terrible story about an internet friend whom I play bridge on a frequent base. Whether true, half-true or a lie I can not judge but the effect (doubt) is undeniable. And I hate it with passion. And I learned a rule of fist, instead of saying nothing allowing the doubt to grow I contact the person under attack and tell him, also tell the person the gossip originates from that I told him. And often the person under attack isn't aware of the gossip while many people | friends of his are. And so I informed my friend yesterday. And as it likely will go I can expect the wrath of the one who spread the gossip saying something like, why did you tell him? or that was for your ears only. So much fun gossip, not.

4. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

What is it?
    A TREMENDOUS distraction.

5. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Well, sure. But what IS it? What makes some speech just fine and other speech "gossip?"

6. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL.

Gossip is..

Always about someone other than either the speaker or hearer
    It is almost always none of either speaker or hearers business
    It is never true, honest, pure, lovely or of good report (see Philippians 4)
    It never intended to edifying
    It always intend to degrade the subject

7. hisleast

hisleast FISHBEAT!

It's attacking the image and reputation of someone, in the confidence of another, but seasoned with gladness.
    It is wrapping the veil of friends' confidence around undermining another, and being satisfied with the work.