Good news from Mieke

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests and Praise' started by Cloudwalker, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

I know that many of you know and love Mieke as I do. Just found this over at BF and thought I would share the good news.

Red face Just wanted to share some nice news with you all!

As most of you know, I am bedridden and most of my family has deserted us, so it's just me and Charles over here. I still have a father but the relationship is not good since my mom died, he became very bitter and doesn't seem to care about us anymore. I have one good friend over here, Tina, but she is so very busy and yesterday when she was here to drop off some things and to talk a bit, she fell asleep..... I know she has good intentions, but ever since my mom died two years ago this Christmas, I just feel a little lonely, as I have no one I can call anymore and Tina only comes every 3 to 4 weeks.

There is a program going on here, for people who are in some way isolated, and since we are mostly bound to our home due to me being bedridden, and having not much friends or family around, I was eligible to get a buddy who would visit me regularly. The foundation that does this, screens the volunteers, for instance they can't have a criminal past, and have to be suitable for the job. It is totally voluntarily, not paid, but they are obliged to stay one and a half year with the program. I had an intake about 3 to 4 months ago, and they put me on the list to see if they could find someone for me, after taking up some personal info and hobbies and what we/I expect of that volunteer. For instance I would not want someone that would like to get outside often and do things, but I would be happy with someone visiting me for tea and talking, maybe a phonecall every now and then and also preferable someone who could craft a little here and there, as I am an avid cross stitcher and also like making 3D-cards.

About 1 1/2 week ago, I got a phonecall out of the blue, I did not expect they could find someone, that there was a student that would like to come and meet me, to see if we would be a good match. Today she came with the man from the foundation to introduce herself..... and I am beyond happiness of what happened today! She is 18 years old, and she comes from a town where I once lived for about 9 years, so she knows the house I lived in!, her boyfriend lives in a town that I went to regularly when I was younger, and although she is a girl who likes to go out and shop and all of that with her friends, she feels she can mean something to me! I really like her a lot, we sat down together, after the man left, me, her and Charles and talked for about an hour and a half, and we like each other! I am so thrilled! She will visit me every 14 days for now, and in the weeks that she does not come over here, she and I will be on the phone, and she immediately gave her phone number because she told me she wants to know if something is happening and we would end up in the hospital like we did a few weeks ago with Charles' heart problems..... so she is very caring about us already! She speaks Dutch of course, but her English is very good too, so Charles can understand her too, although he won't have time to sit with us every time she comes, it is convenient that they understand each other.

She is not a believer but says she loves the stories from the Bible, and knows about the life and sufferings of Jesus, so I see an excellent opportunity there to witness to her! She is studying for some kind of social work, so this is an excellent opportunity for her to practise what she is taught..... but the most nice news came just before she left..... I asked her if she was a little creative, as I have no one anymore to talk about crafting anymore now my mom is gone, and she said she cross stitched when she was young and used to make 3D-cards too! So I asked her if she would be interested in doing that again, and I would teach her of course (although you never really forget such a craft) and she said she would love that! I have tons of material for her to try it out, of course those costs are for me, but since I just got closet number 3 for all my material, I can very well afford to give up a few things here and there, I have tons of colors and patterns (I have a few friends who keep on sending me supplies!) and my local friend Tina brought me all the stuff back that I gave to her when I thought I was no longer able to do 3D-cards! So I have a ton of material there too! I can already envision us crafting together and drinking tea (like me she does not like coffee), maybe surfing a bit to find patterns that she likes, and more like that. On top of that she loves cats, has one of her own, and what they normally don't do, they even showed up when she was here! (they are damaged cats so usually afraid of strangers).

So all in all this seems like a gift from Daddy to me! We are also in a program that tries to find a volunteer for us who not only comes to visit but also can arrange things to be done around the house (although we will have to pay a little bit for that) and expand our contacts, and in our case we would love to have a Bible study group in our home once a month or so, since we are not the in opportunity to go to church! Finally I heard a few weeks ago that there are people who are starting a group of volunteers, where they go to isolated people like me with one or more ladies to come to embroider at their house, and of course I'd love that too! But that is still in the beginning phases so it will take a while before that will happen....... all this together with two lovely girls (we are sad to know that they will be replaced in June and in August/September we will get new girls) who are arranging a lot for us too, from helping me dealing with the government for instance to if I have problems with my family doctor and everything in between, more the business side (although they do call me regularly to see how we are doing physically and so on), makes my outlook on life a lot more positive! Daddy is sure supplying for us!

I am really so happy about what this girl..... Daddy couldn't have made a better choice for me!

Love you all lots,
    Mieke

2. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Thanks for sharing that with us Dave. That's wonderful to hear. Myself being a recipient of those beautiful 3D cards, I know what a wonderful ministry that is. God bless that woman. And Charles.

3. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

I have received one of those cards myself. It permanent lives on my refrigerator where I see it several times a day.

4. Liquid Tension

Liquid Tension No, it's NOT a fish!!!

Thanks for sharing!