Giving of Thanks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RabbiKnife, Aug 10, 2017.

1. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

I know that sometimes I can get extremely complacent in my life, often forgetting to acknowledge how incredibly blessed I am in so many ways.

I'm trying to make it a habit to consciously express my thanksgiving to God at least once per day... (isn't that pathetic?)

So, anyway, here's a place we can do that.

I'll start.

As most of you know, I'm a partner in a lawfirm, and as with any small business, cash flow and budgeting is always a challenge.

Each of the partners in the firm has a goal/requirement/need to bill and collect a certain amount of money each month in order to pay not only our own salaries, but also the salaries and benefits for our employees, overhead, rent, etc. A law firm is just like any other business.

So, I've been working on a case for 2 years, and for the last six months, the client hasn't been able to pay. Now, this was not a shock, as we had the court freeze some funds (so we knew that we would eventually get paid), but still, working on a major case without ongoing monthly payments is a challenge to cash flow.
    But, thanks to the grace of God, I've been able to keep meeting my monthly obligation to the firm even though this receivable from this one client kept growing and growing.

We settled the case a couple of weeks ago, and everything was finished up so that today I could get paid.

Today's payment was enough that I have now met my obligation to the Firm through October and part of November, and its only August 10.

God is so good to me, and I am so very grateful for the way in which He -- not me -- provides.

The Parson, ProDeo and Dani like this.
  2. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

That's wonderful RK.
    And this is such a wonderful thread. Thanks for posting it.

I know that unless I schedule something, I may not happen. Heck even sometimes things I schedule don't happen.
    Having said that.

Thank you God. For I know that I am alive today because of your mercy and grace. Because you sent your beloved and precious Son to give His life for me a worthless sinner. Who, for only reasons you know, have blessed me way more than I deserve. Thank you God. I've never had a day where ALL of my families needs haven't been met. You always supply. And when things got tough, you taught me how to rely on You. Thank you for never letting me down. For I certainly have let you down many many times. And thank you for loving me so much.
    And thank you for brothers and sisters like RK that post threads that make me remember just how good You are and how much I have to be thankful for.

Dani and The Parson like this.
  3. Dani

Dani You're probably fine.

I give thanks because every single day of my life for almost 50 years I've had plenty of food to eat, a roof over my head, clothes to wear, and many modern luxuries besides such as running water, indoor plumbing, electricity and climate control.
    I give thanks because I was born into incredible first-world privilege, and I do my best to not abuse that although I'm always keenly aware of it.
    I give thanks for my family and friends because they're the reason I get up every morning.
    I give thanks for my many trials and struggles (albeit often reluctantly, and often enough offering thanks as a sacrificial faith offering) because they've forged me into the person I am today, who is infinitely better than I imagined myself to ever be when I was still a young adult and afraid of life, death, and everything in between.
    I give thanks that right now I have 2 broken bones in my foot and am being sidelined from my own life because it's taught me to be more understanding of and compassionate towards my son who is severely disabled an also my husband who's been sidelined from earning an income for 1-1/2 years now.
    I give thanks because the broken places in my body, mind, heart, spirit and life continue to be healed and restored by my Father who loves me.
    I give thanks that even though we've experienced job loss and struggles, we still have a roof over our heads and all of our needs have been faithfully met, and will continue to be met (if the past 50 years were any indication).
    I give thanks for my son being born disabled (even though he isn't thankful, which I 100% understand) because the privilege of being his mother has transformed me from a self-absorbed trainwreck into a grown-up woman of God who actually cares about someone other than her own self.
    I give thanks for my husband who is the yin to my yang, my best friend and partner in life who I can't imagine living without even though I do think about divorce earnestly about once a year (and then get over it ... because I'm a commitment phobe who thinks it's a miracle that I married anybody to begin with) .

I give thanks that even though life on this planet can certainly be hell, heaven is at my disposal just for asking. And so I ask, continually, for myself and for others as they come to mind and are burdened on my heart.

I do what I can to give thanks in everything and for everything, because mostly I mean it but also for some things by faith because God says I should, and He knows better than I do.

The Parson, ProDeo and Scooby_Snax like this.
  4. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I give thanks for this group of people that I still have never met in the flesh.

Dani, The Parson and ProDeo like this.
  5. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

I give thanks to the Lord who baptized me in His love 2 times (estimation duration 2-5 minutes) in half an hour back in 1974. Without those 2 exceptional moments I know my faith would have collapsed long time ago vulnerable as I am to doubt and question everything. I give thanks to the Lord who has given me my wife who has endured me for 42 years, quite a performance of her. I give thanks the Lord for my 3 children, what a blessing kids are and that they all kept the faith. I give thanks to the Lord for having known Rudolf our foster child who now as I believe in Jesus' arms and does not have to suffer any longer. These would top my list.

Dani and The Parson like this.
  6. The Parson

The Parson Your friendly neighborhood parson Staff Member

I praise God because He is who He is!
    He has watched over my children and grand children with so much grace.
    Smiled on my dear wife and myself with that same exact grace.
    Blessed me and mine with such sweet security and peace.
    Given us such assurance that we all can have a wonderful peace that passes all understanding.

ProDeo and Dani like this.
  7. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

Thank you God for keeping us safe today and having supportive people around me to do what needed to be done, and have my back. I have waited for this for some time as you know, and when I looked up into the sky at the whispy clouds thinking of you was the prayer that was enough.

ProDeo likes this.
  8. RabbiKnife

I was beginning to feel guilty for wanting to post this, but sometimes, I have to remember that God really is good, and that He really does love us, and that sometimes, He gives us candy even when we need carrots.
    I grew up in a very conservative, almost cultish Baptist church, where "fun" was looked on suspiciously, and going to a concert was certainly verboten.

I first heard of the Eagles in high school with "Hotel California," but the only time I ever heard the Eagles was in someone else's car (which was rare) or on a juke box at a pizza place, which was even more rare.

20 years later, I was introduced/reintroduced to their music and really came to appreciate the harmonies and the musicianship. Never got to see them, then Glen Frye passed away earlier this year.

Here's the thanksgiving part.

My birthday is coming up in a couple of months, and just got 4 tickets to hear them just before my birthday.

Trivial? Probably. Important? No.

Does the thought bring me great joy?

Oh, yeah!!!!

God not only meets my needs, sometimes He meets my wants!

TrustGzus likes this.
  9. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

I've never seen the Eagles. However, on July 1, my wife and I saw Styx and REO. Opening before either of them was Don Felder, former guitarist for the Eagles. It was an all Eagles set. Very enjoyable. And I think I also still have the Spirit of God. The lead guitarist for REO came out to do the guitar harmonies on Hotel California. Tommy Shaw of Styx came out to play guitar and banjo on Take It Easy.

10. teddyv

Thankful for safe travels again (another 2000km or so after our 4800km northern trek). Had to pass through some thick forest fire smoke to get there, but the campsite was relatively clear. A good time with the wife's immediate family was had.

11. פNIʞƎƎS

Thankful for God putting such wonderful people in my life. Yesterday was a frustrating day for me and my dear brother Joe aka TrustGzus really went out of his way to show me the love of God and brotherly love.
    And I'm also thankful it's Friday.

12. RabbiKnife

Another thankfuliness post.

Met a guy on an airplane two plus weeks ago. Great conversation. Invited me to a , ahem, 6:45 a.m. men's bible study.

Went today. 115 guys

13. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

He's found his niche.

14. teddyv

That's a church!

15. RabbiKnife

It was firstrate.

Onethingformen.org. Ithink

16. פNIʞƎƎS

That's fantastic.
    Not crazy about the time, but, yeah.

17. RabbiKnife

I told them that if God wanted me up that early He should have turned the lights on outside...

18. Dani

Dani You're probably fine.

That's pretty great

19. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

Don't move to Alaska with that mindset. You'll have a weird life.

20. RabbiKnife

This is a true thankfulness, and no joke.

I stepped on the scales this morning at 185.8 lbs. Lightest I've been since college. I am very thankful, and feel great.