Four Horsemen

Discussion in 'Eschatology' started by Timothy, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Timothy

Timothy Administrator Staff Member

Revelation 6 - I don't know. What do you think? Angels, Fallen Angels ,or Humans?

2. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Wouldn't each rider, rather than being an actual person, headline or represent the illustrated, God-ordained, historical forces unleashed on Earth?

3. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Hitchens, Dawkins, Denn...

I've always taken them to be symbolic

4. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Rose, Morgan, Bench, Perez....

5. Timothy

A majority of all things and events are symbolic in the book that represent persons, places, things, and or events I believe. I keep seeing in my mind people in these roles.

For instance, the great Harlot of Revelation 17 has always been clear to me as the Pope and the Vatican if you get my meaning. Been there by the way in the 1970's. I'm not a religious kook, but I've always had that vision in my minds eye. And yes; I mean actual vision...

6. Liquid Tension

Liquid Tension No, it's NOT a fish!!!

Flair, Anderson, Blanchard and Windham.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;.;. 0:0

Always viewed it as more symbolic.

7. Timothy

Just my humble opinion but I believe we either over symbolize or even over literalize prophecy. Some even let their imagine run away with them. ie. the works of Clarence Larkin, Cyrus Ingerson Scofield, and Amzi Dixon.

8. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

Hillary, Hillary, Hillary, Hill....

maybe, you never know :)

9. Timothy

Who would that be, the angel of Death, Famine, War, or Conquest?

10. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

I also find totally fascinating the many and diverse schools of interpretation concerning timing of these prophetic events, i.e. the futurIst's 7 year or 3 1/2 year period; concurrent, chronological, or overlapping; the historisist's view... etc.

11. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

Speaking of the timing of things to happen, key-word: soon.

1:1 - The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place. (first verse)

22:7 - And behold, I [Jesus] am coming soon.

22:12 - Behold, I [Jesus] am coming soon.

22:20 - Surely I [Jesus] am coming soon. (second to last verse)

12. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

I have a sneaking suspicion that when it's all over we will all slap ourselves on the forehead and say "OOOHHHhh! That's what that meant."

13. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

All of them, duh....

With each seal being opened Hillary gets a new horse. I thought that much was obvious ;)

14. Timothy

Silly me. I shoulda knowed!!!

15. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Four horsemen? You mean Larry, Curly, Moe, and Shemp? ;)

16. Dani

Dani You're probably fine.

Personifications of real and actual forces, not so much beings.

I'll go along with them representing death, famine, war, and conquest. Makes sense, in the historical focus and context of the Roman Empire and all they caused.

The goal of the entire prophecy (to my mind) was to get the readers'/listerners' eyes off actual people, and onto God being in complete control of human history and orchestrating events via either His permissive will, or His intentional will. To inspire faith rather than fear. That is why John focused on personifications, and only ever hinted on actual people (like with the number of the beast hinting at Nero or whoever), rather than putting those people front and center. Because the Revelation is about Jesus being front and center.

I actually think those who overly focus on identifying people, and thereby feed into people's fear of men, are heading the exact opposite way of what John was intending to show and inspire.

Because the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, while the fear of man brings a snare.

17. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I've always understood the four horsemen to be symbolic of various things, not literal beings.

18. I believe it to be just four horsemen symbolism as well, I don't feel it's going to literally horseman riding out from the sky, but you never know what could happen really. All powerful and supreme beings it could be a feasible scenario, but it's in most scenarios supposed to be taken symbolically, not literally. At least, that's my opinion.

19. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

The four horsemen? Ah, yes. I believe that would be Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. :p

Cloudwalker likes this.
  20. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

As I said in another thread. I have the feeling that when it is all over we are going to be left standing, hitting the heal of our hand against our forehead saying "OH, that's what that meant."