Do you believe Cannabis should be legal both for religious and non-religious standpoint?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChristianInspiration, May 31, 2017.

1. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Why all this fuss about young people in Thailand?

Two words.

Soylent Green.

2. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

You may laugh, but I actually thought that when I was in Junior High School and answered that way on a test.

3. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

One big question is exactly why drugs continue to be unlawful and who gets to be the final arbiter of what is "harmful". All sorts of things are harmful when they go past a certain point, but the problem with making them illegal is all the additional criminal activity they start to generate as people who might be regarded as victims end up being regarded as criminals.

If you're got a teenager who wants to look tough in front of your friends smoking doesn't really cut it so to go the extra step you find yourself some drugs. Bingo, you're a tough guy, in contact with the criminal underworld. You're somebody now. Think how much less cool it would be if you were standing in line at the local CVS behind your friend's granny and her packet of incontinence pads.

Now look at the way drug pushers have an incentive to target children. If you offer the kids a wrap of heroin for $1 you'll most likely be making a loss in the early days but once they are hooked the price goes up because you know they'll do what it takes to get the money to fund their next high. And so you get kids involved in anything from stealing, street robbery, prostitution, whatever it takes to raise the money for their fix. If you can buy it over the counter at CVS there's a cap on the price - the street pushers can't charge $100 for a fix because you can buy it anywhere for $20. You may still get the crime to fund it but you'll have a lot less of it.

You can also regulate the purity. While it's illegal pushers have an incentive to cut their wares with, well, anything on hand. What are the buyers going to do, complain to the better business bureau? So you've got some poor schmuck who thought he was buying cocaine only to find (after he snorted it) that it was cut with battery acid and now he needs a new nose. Too bad. You wouldn't get that sort of thing if it were controlled for purity and sold over the counter. Of course you could still choose to buy it from a street dealer if you really wanted to, but it becomes harder to think of reasons why you would.

Legal drugs are bought and sold all the time with no pressure. If you go into a store that sells beers, wines and spirits and try to buy a six-pack of beer nobody is whispering in your ear, suggesting that maybe you'd like to try something a bit stronger. Nobody offers you a special to try the whisky instead of the beer. They just sell you what you want. When drugs are illegal the street dealers have a clear incentive to get you hooked so it makes sense for them to be constantly encouraging you to try something a bit stronger.

There's also the human cost. When drugs are illegal and represent a source of huge profits there's a clear benefit to controlling the most lucrative territories. Cue violence, gang warfare etc as people try and maintain control. Too bad if you're caught in the middle when two rival gangs clash. The more money on the table, the more they'll do to protect it. If you can buy drugs over the counter at Walgreens where's the lucrative territory now?

A big difference between drugs and prostitution, and abortion and euthanasia, is the issue of consent.

If I choose to ingest something that others consider harmful or toxic, who gets the final decision? If not me, why not me? It's my body and ultimately my decision.
    If two people choose to have sex, why is it anyone else's business? If I take a young lady home with me, what difference does it make whether she was attracted to my sparkling wit or the $50 in my wallet? (My wife might have something to say about it, but there's no reason why the government needs to be involved at all).
    Abortion involves ending the life of another human being without their consent, so is a totally different situation.
    Euthanasia is arguably more complex and if anything is closer to the issue of consensual sex. If someone is pressured into saying they want to be euthanized (perhaps by a family with an eye on an inheritance rapidly being soaked up by medical bills) there's the clear potential for abuse. Arguably this would be akin to pressuring someone to have sex, perhaps picking on someone in financial difficulty and taking advantage of their vulnerability. A key difference here is that abusing provision for euthanasia would typically be expected to result in a financial gain for the abuser, while abusing freedom to have "consensual" sex (with consensual in quotes to indicate consent given under some kind of duress) would typically be expected to result in at least some benefit for the abused. That may not be much consolation for someone who may live with the regret of just who they spent a night with to avoid getting their electricity cut off but at least they don't end up being buried.

4. Dani

Dani You're probably fine.

I don't think legalizing drugs whitewashes the reality at all. How do you figure?

Medical grade heroin is legal. Has been legal. For years. It's being used responsibly and beneficially in that context.

Street grade heroin is illegal. Has been for years. It's being used to build organized crime, it's being cut down with deadly garbage, it's difficult if not downright impossible to actually prosecute. There's no benefit in making it illegal, as far as I can see.

Why is heroin legal and illegal at the same time??? That doesn't even make any sense.

Nobody is whitewashing heroin or denying that it's deadly. Making it legal just allows it to be regulated as a medical drug, rather than a street drug. That's the only difference.

5. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Let's start at the beginning: name some drugs that are medical grade heroin? Similar drugs are OxyContin and Vicodin, so let's keep those in mind when legality is mentioned, as if being legal makes a drug any less dangerous.

6. RabbiKnife

Killing a human in self-defense is legal.

Killing a human with premeditation is illegal.

Why is killing a human legal and illegal at the same time??? That doesn't even make any sense.

Really?

TrustGzus likes this.
  7. Dani

Heroin is a substance. It's not a behavior or a motivation.

Drug addiction is a brain disease that people are born with. That's scientifically proven. Why are we criminalizing sick people, instead of giving them the help they need?

I'm not at all arguing in favor of making heroin available to anybody who wants it. I'm only arguing in favor of decriminalizing a brain disease so people can get the help they need, without the punishment and stigma that solves nothing and makes a bad problem worse rather than better.

As it stands now, lots of young people with immature brains are getting hooked on drugs by pushers and dealers, which sets those young people on a lifetime trajectory of not only having to fight that addiction in their own brains, but also a legal system that now treats them as criminals rather than patients.

There's got to be a better way, no?

Heroin is the common name for the chemical drug diapmorphine. Which is widely available at hospitals all over the place. It's being used for pain relief and for end-of-life treatment. Has been for years. I was a medical transcriptionist for well over a decade and fully understand how it's being used. It basically puts people at end of life in a catatonic state so they can die without agony.

Again, I'm stating nowhere that heroin is not dangerous (I'm very aware of how powerful it is!), nor am I advocating to make it available over the counter to whoever wants it. I'm only arguing to decriminalize end-user possession so that people with addiction can get the actual help they need, without being put in jail for possession of drugs, having that on their record, and making rehabilitation and recovery way harder than it should be. Put the dealers, pushers and distributors in prison, not the addicts. Remove the zero-tolerance burden from the user and place it on the dealer and the rest of the network where the actual criminals are.

Street-grade drugs are basically "super drugs" that are being laced and cut specifically to create an immensely powerful addiction from the onset. With the goal to create lifelong paying customers, and who cares if these people die by the tens of thousands, because there's more young people all the time who can get hooked very easily.

That's where the "War on Drugs" has gotten us -- it's created super drugs that medical science has a hard time combating and that standard rehab models are pretty powerless against. Maybe put all that "crime-fighting" revenue into medical research instead and find actual remedies. Because at it stands now, the drug lords are always a step ahead, and will continue to be, unless the system is changed.

8. Athanasius

If euthanasia is a whitewashing of suicide, then what role does legalized heroin have in that whitewashing? Does it not hide the reality of pain, agony, and suffering that suicide, aka. euthanasia, would otherwise bring, and as a result, remove the stigma of euthanasia as far as it being presented as the 'humane' option, re: the ending of pain, agony, suffering, and so forth? On that connection, how would we know if diamorphine were distributed to a patient who 'requested' euthanasia, and is unable to object while in a catatonic state? Here, too, we have the 'bringing in' of a doctor to legitimize the kind of scenario we have in mind, but while you're all for the legalization or decriminalization of drugs, you're against the legalization or decriminalization of euthanasia, but I'm not seeing a good reason why you shouldn't be 'for' both?

9. Dani

It's not euthanasia, because the person is already busy dying anyway. Like, end-end-of-life. Not "oh I want to die, gimme diamorphine". At least not the reports I've transcribed, and those were many. They normally use it after every other option has been exhausted, according to a patient's Advanced Directive, a family member's consent, or a panel of doctors if no Advanced Directive is available and next-of-kin cannot be located or won't make a decision. Their body is already busy shutting down and they're just using the diamorphine to sedate them, to ease transition; that's all it's for.

Anyway if I wanted to be euthanized, I wouldn't request diamorphine anyway. There's way better, quicker, more powerful options.

I also think there is a big difference between someone actively and truly dying and *merely* suffering (no process of actual death happening). Mind you, I use the word "merely" as a contrast here, not an absolute --- I'm aware that in these people's minds their suffering can certainly feel as though they're dying and they're just trying to escape the hell they feel they're enduring.

I also realize there are no simple answers ... and I don't believe there are supposed to be. Because these are most serious matters worthy of much contemplation, discussion, and a very, very careful approach --- with the understanding that if we decide to "play God", we're not going to ever do it very well, but we can at least try to honor Him with these sorts of decisions and give the people involved the dignity they deserve as fellow human beings worthy of our utmost compassion --- because one day that person may be ourselves, or a loved one --- and then what?

10. פNIʞƎƎS

Can't we all just get along. :cool:

11. Dani

Who isn't getting along??

12. פNIʞƎƎS

I guess I've lost my comic relief skills.
    I was only kidding around.

13. Athanasius

Newb ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14. BrianW

BrianW Active Member

We are having an opioid epidemic in America right now that is devastating individuals, families and communities. It's also putting great burdens on our resources that could be better spent helping people with problems not of their own making or choice.
    I don't think the soccer mom that got addicted through her doctor -some of which have become nothing more than a legal pusher/dealer --should be sent to prison over it. I do think that if a doctor can be proven to have been negligent in his prescription habits he or she should be. Because they are no better than the scumbags on the street who are selling the stuff to all comers and are no better than murders in my eyes.
    I'm not condemning all doctors with that statement. I think the majority of them are great people that perform vital life saving work. And I'm not advocating for criminalization of all opioids for any reason. In some situations it can be used for good by professionals in highly controlled settings.

Legalize it? No. May as well say that meth and crack are just fine and hunky dory too. No matter the wake of pain, crimes other than just use and death left in the wake of it eh? No matter the pain and burdens on their families and the financial burden on the communities too right?
    Start giving dealers the death penalty and actually carrying out the sentences in a reasonable time seems much more sensible and appropriate to me. I've known plenty of them and plenty of the walking dead they leave in their wake.
    And please understand, if the only people affected by opioid abuse were the people abusing it I would have completely a different outlook on it. But they aren't the only ones affected. Not by a long shot.

Marijuana? That's a whole different conversation. Make it legal, tax it and stop the madness. Just as long as they don't make it illegal to grow your own. If people can have a micro breweries they should be able to have a few plants or a hydro system too.

Marijuana isn't physically addictive and it isn't any more mentally addictive than chocolate, potato chips or McDonald's french fries are. Alcohol is far more a dangerous thing to toy with than that stupid little plant.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  15. RabbiKnife

I had a client that owned a "pain management clinic." He did it correctly, having a full time physician that saw EVERYONE before any treatment or prescriptions were written. Required previous medical records, MRI, XRay, etc. He paid the doctor $10,000 a week. We had regular discussions with state investigators, DEA, etc., to show them how he did it to comply with the law and how others were rigging the system. He regularly had entire van loads of people show up from neighboring states trying to get opiods, mostly oxy.

He finally got tired of it and closed it down.

Our state has fairly stringent requirements, and he added other safeguards, but the money in the sale of prescription opiods is so ridiculous that it just screams for corruption.

Most states are far more lax. I had a discussion with one DEA agent that was looking at one particular pharmacy located about 3 blocks from my client's clinic, and they filled more than 400 scripts a week for oxycontin... it made up 97% of their total revenue.

16. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I'm not sure of the current opiod issues north of the border (I'm sure there are problems). They did make changes to only allow oxy pills in a slow release form (as I recall). In Vancouver, morons have been mixing Fentanol (sp?) into the heroin on the street and killing a whole lot of users.

17. RabbiKnife

Same here with the Fentanol and heroin.

Slow release oxy becomes fast release if you chew it or crush it and inject/liquify/snort it.

18. פNIʞƎƎS

So that's why so many heroin users have been dying in large numbers.

19. BrianW

BrianW Active Member

You never know what you're getting when you buy "street." It's cut with wherever they get their hands on and sometimes it's not even heroin at all or it's the synthetic Fentanol mixed with cheap Chinese...whatever.
    It's a game of Russian roulette every time they smoke or shoot up.

20. RabbiKnife

Yep. Using the same dose it is an overdose every time.