Do not touch me, for I have not yet ascended

Discussion in 'Bible Chat' started by פNIʞƎƎS, Apr 21, 2017.

1. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Last night I was doing a study in the Gospel of John. Specifically in His crucifixion and His resurrection. I came upon this passage, as I have previously, and I was wondering what Jesus meant when he said "Do not touch me, for I have not yet ascended to my Father."

John 20:15-18 NET (New English Translation)

15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Who are you looking for?” Because she thought he was the gardener, she said to him, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will take him.” 16 Jesus said to her, “Mary.” She turned and said to him in Aramaic, “Rabboni” (which means Teacher). 17 Jesus replied, “Do not touch me, for I have not yet ascended to my Father. Go to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” 18 Mary Magdalene came and informed the disciples, “I have seen the Lord!” And she told them what Jesus had said to her.

2. Dani

Dani You're probably fine.

I understand it to mean that she was clinging to Jesus (wouldn't you if you saw a loved one murdered and then raised from the dead? I mean, how long would it take for you to actually comprehend what was happening, and then be so overcome that you weren't going to let that person get away ever again) -- but it was time for Him to get on and finish what He started.

Cloudwalker and פNIʞƎƎS like this.
  3. פNIʞƎƎS

That makes a lot of sense Dani. Especially when I read it in the NASB

17 Jesus *said to her, “Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.’”

4. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

NKJV & CSB say the same. NIV says "do not hold on to me."

פNIʞƎƎS likes this.
  5. פNIʞƎƎS

Thanks Joe. A good reminder why I should always keep multiple versions on the table during study. I broke my own Cardinal rule.

6. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

I'll admit that I never thought much about this passage but this makes a great deal of sense.

פNIʞƎƎS likes this.
  7. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

He gives the reason..."for I have not yet ascended to my father."

פNIʞƎƎS likes this.
  8. פNIʞƎƎS

Now with the understanding that she was clinging to him, yes it makes sense that was the reason. I thought there was some sort of untouchableness that He briefly possessed that wouldn't allow it.