Discernment

Discussion in 'Controversial' started by ProDeo, Oct 28, 2017.

1. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

In the mid 70's I have read Kathryn Kuhlman book "I Believe in Miracles" and it was a revelation to my young faith God still heals people.

Today I came across this video and the woman gives me the creeps.

Please tell me if this type of discernment (gut instinct) is Christian or not.

2. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Sorry I couldn't go more than 3 minutes. Very creepy. I know Benny Hinn is supposed to be her successor. But coming from a Charismatic Cult, maybe I can't look at this without some bias.

3. ProDeo

She says all the right things but unlike Benny Hinn I can't find convincing evidence she has been exposed.

4. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

She prophesied that the youth of the 1970's would be the last generation of youth before the tribulation. Guess we should stone her.

5. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

It's funny how no one wants to hear about the repercussions of being a false prophet.
    At least those who throw those "prophecies" out there.

6. Kierkegaard

They're too eager to prophesy and too eager to teach. People don't understand the gravity of their actions and don't want to assume personal responsibility for their wrongdoing.

7. ProDeo

I can understand that someone can make a first time mistake. What I don't understand there are Christians who don't learn from that.

8. Kierkegaard

I'd put prophecy in the 'this is so serious that you'd probably rather have not been born than given the responsibility; life is really not a joke, I can't believe how serious this is; am I suffocating from the sense of responsibility? I must be!' category, which means that there shouldn't be any mistakes on the part of the prophet delivery a prophecy. A first mistake is just as problematic as a second, or third, or last mistake. And especially for Kathryn Kuhlman, who wasn't new to the game.

9. ProDeo

I rewatched the "last generation prophecy" (had seen it a couple of years ago) and I share your sentiment completely and also noticed the same level of creepiness as in the Corrie ten Boom video above, then OTOH:

#1. Unlike other faith healers it's the only wrong I can find.

#2. The charismatic movement. On that, this is going to be long....

I have been wandering for 25 years in the charismatic movement. Quite quickly after my conversion my wife and I exchanged the (stiff) Reformed Church for the lively charismatic movement. People here celebrated their faith. Instead of nodding at each other as a greeting here people wanted to embrace you. Not that wanted to participate in that, never did. I really enjoyed the praise but often was the only one (of the hundreds) who had not lift up his hands. I felt home in my own way.

And as a baby in Christ I became aware of people speaking in tongues and speaking prophecies, even those which began with "So says the Lord". And then you hear the sermons about being led by the Spirit and how you can learn to hear God speaking to your heart if only you are willing. And of course I wanted that. And then you hear the testimonies of people telling how the Holy Spirit led them to drive to an unknown part of the city, go left, go right, stop here and testify to that man, and the man in question came to the Lord. Leaves quite some impression and before you realize it you are ready to spiritualize about everything.

And you are told with reference to 1 Cor 14:1 to strive to become a prophet and let's face it, the way Paul put it, for some people it's more an order than something voluntary and so I can understand people are striving and striving to receive it and sooner or later the wish becomes the father of the fulfilment.