Did Judas have to betray Jesus?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by devilslayer365, Mar 21, 2016.

1. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Did Judas betray Jesus willingly or did he do it only because God somehow made him do it so that Jesus could fulfill His mission of being betrayed in order to be crucified for mankind?

2. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Willingly.

3. hisleast

hisleast FISHBEAT!

Offer a child a poisoned cookie, or a clump of steamed broccoli and they pick the cookie every time.
    Our near perfect foreknowledge of that outcome does not mean that we chose for the child.

I suspect if God is real and omniscient, his predictive capabilities of behavior dwarf even our own. But to the mortal, the predictive prowess would certainly look like premeditation.

4. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

That's what's the (false) gospel of Judas is about, making a hero of Judas.

Some people with a talent to distort will read an encouragement or even an order in John 13:

26 - Jesus answered, β€œIt is he to whom I will give this morsel of bread when I have dipped it.” So when he had dipped the morsel, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot.

27 Then after he had taken the morsel, Satan entered into him. Jesus said to him, β€œWhat you are going to do, do quickly.”

5. Gracie

Gracie Member

I believe he did it willing because God give us all freewill. But I do believe everything happens for a reason,and that something good always come from something bad. That is a GREAT ?, and I will forsure have to ask my Pastor.

6. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Judas betrayed Jesus willingly, and the rest of the apostles abandoned or denied him willingly. It's easy to despise Judas while minimizing what the other apostles did in response. But if you consider the actions of the apostles as a whole then it becomes more difficult to suggest that Judas was made by God to betray Jesus unless you're also willing to say that God made the other apostles abandon / deny Jesus (unless you're a determinist / fatalist about everything to begin with).

Kierkegaard has a bit on this in his communion sermon on 1 Corinthians 11:

7. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

Willingly.