Criminalizing pronouns...

Discussion in 'Controversial' started by devilslayer365, Aug 28, 2017.

1. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

So, I'm totally a patriotic American citizen. I think most of you here know that. However, I'm really starting to wonder why. Things like this have me wondering if the United States, at least as the great country I remember growing up in, is dead. Apparently, California is set to vote on a bill that criminalizes, with jail time, not referring to transgender people according to their preferred pronoun. Because words hurt. Or whatever. So, let me get this straight. Somebody can threaten to kill you and the police often don't do anything about it but if you call a guy a "he" who would rather be called a "she" THAT'S worth going to jail over?! Seriously?!
    http://www.dailywire.com/news/20299...&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=dwbrand

2. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL.

Resistance is futile.
    You will be assimilated.
    We appreciate your assimilation, Citizen. We trust you will not become an unperson

Director of Miniluv

3. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

I would have to wait until something actually comes from this, personally to be outraged.
    I have a friend who woke up with a man standing over his bed as he heard his kids scream, recognizing who it was ( a stalker of his wife) and they would NOT arrest him for breaking and entering.

4. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Not sure why we should have to wait to see if this law passes before becoming outraged. It's totally pathetic that they're even trying. Of course I'm hoping it doesn't pass, but seeing the way things are going in this country I'm NOT holding my breath...

5. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

I cannot speak for everyone--- I told someone (a male, I am female) who is subordinate to me at my workplace the other day not to call me BOSS-- to me it was offensive. I was strait forward with them. They told me it was a habit, one I did not understand but after conversation took as their word that they would adapt.
    This (particular) law is in regard to people who are dependent on others for their care.
    If I felt the intention was a way to be-little me, by this male subordinate calling ME boss....making an excuse for it, I can IMAGINE if I were at the mercy of a caregiver, it could only get worse.
    I DID have to call them on it again, which even though a habit for them, have maintained my standing. If someone wants to be called (whatever) and you are getting paid to CARE for them, call them what THEY wish--- or find another job...but by all means, do not make your issues into a funny game because you think by sex or morality you are superior.

6. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

“We are not like that. We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of terrorism is terrorism. The object of oppression is oppression. The object of torture is torture. The object of murder is murder. The object of power is power. Now do you begin to understand me?”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

RabbiKnife likes this.
  7. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Words do hurt (more than sticks and stones). That doesn't mean, however, that we should criminalize speech -- this law is stupid (but then, so is most of California).

8. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

The bill mentions no punishment or fine for refusing to use pronouns at all. I guess we could call that freedom to not speak....

9. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

The problem with this law, and it's even mentioned in the article, is that NOBODY believes it will be contained to "caregivers" only. This law, if it passes (being in California that's likely), will be but a stepping stone to making it required in society in general. We'll likely see other states follow suit.

10. RabbiKnife

Exactly, my friend. Exactly.

11. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

It seems to me this "area" falls under (something similar to) violence in the workplace. In this case something more like neglect of duty---
    Very difficult to actually prove that someone has called you anything unless there is a recording of it.
    Even with witnesses they would have to swear and testify in court.
    If the bill were aimed at employers, rather than at those who are employed at a nursing facility in general, there might be more sense to it passing.

To extend this out would probably mean to schools and other vocations where there is a person(s) in authority over the proposed injured group.

It would not be possible to extend it out to personal interactions with others in society.

12. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

The last sentence in your post...don't be so sure about that.

13. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Speaking words doesn't constitute violence, nor would the 'proper use of pronouns' be anything approaching a duty (proper). It might be disrespectful; it might lack tact; it might even lack love (imagine that) -- but that's as far as it goes.

It's one thing to tell a person what they can't say, and quite another thing entirely to tell them what they have to say (on pain of prosecution). The law is indefensible, and if care workers don't have the courtesy to respect those they are caring for, then pronouns aren't the area of abuse we should be concerned about (really -- caretakers?! No one is buying that this is going to affect nursing homes only).

So, guess we better start learning each other's preferred pronouns.

Remember when it was just a song?

14. RabbiKnife

The law is utterly unconstitutional.

15. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

Okay that song totally rocks!

16. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I think the law is stupid, but how is it unconstitutional?

17. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Meh. I never was into Depeche Mode. All their songs sound alike, too. :p

18. RabbiKnife

It prohibits free speech. "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech..."

19. TrustGzus

TrustGzus Don't make me hangry Staff Member

RK, how secure do you think that is in today's environment? It seems the Constitutuon, the Bible....whatever....are living documents in the mind of our silly society.

I'm so thankful Gorsuch got installed. It was good to see sanity be installed.

20. RabbiKnife

I think that is very secure. Even the Notorious RBG and her leftist crowd fear giving the power to prohibit free speech to the Congress, since well, Trump.