Cooking

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by MommaJenny, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

It turned out well. I will tweek the recipe some the next time around, but as simple as it was-- it motivates me.

2. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

On to hard boiled eggs. I have been consumed with making easy to peel hard boiled eggs.
    I read so many recipes/blogs/etc. My experimentation has lead me to find an egg that after cooked and refrigerated will peel so well , that I was able to crack the egg and peel off two halves in tact without any stuck on eggshells to rinse off! (Perfect halves not every time, it seems the cracking has something to with this but not sure how)

1. Boil water.
    2. When it begins to boil (I have a ceramic stove top that does not adjust heat quickly) turn it to medium (6-7)
    3. Gently lower eggs into the water. Set timer for 14 minutes.
    3. Take off heat and let sit for another 1 or 2 minutes because you are usually too busy doing something else right when the timer goes off.
    4. Rinse eggs in the pan in cold water a couple minutes. Fill it up again, let sit and repeat until cool.
    5. Dry off and wrap in paper towels.
    6. Place in refrigerator overnight.
    7. Gently crack them around and about, peel (be amazed sometimes!) and eat them the next day.

P.S. Only a few out of 4 dozen eggs were completely wasted over the course of two months in this experiment. If an egg can be peeled it can be eaten, even if it is just egg salad and not deviled eggs. The eggs used at last final answer were just bought from grocery..so as old as that is. :p
    Nothing added to the water except for the desire for the eggs to come out as they did, not overcooked, (green ring tough weird chewy white) not under cooked (too soft white and too dark yellow center) and above all else, easy to peel.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  3. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

About to marinade a couple steaks and wondering if anyone has a favorite marinade recipe they use.

4. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Those are definitely not for deviled eggs, because 14 minutes absolute boils the hell out of them.

1. Water in pan.
    2. Put eggs in water.
    3. Bring water to boil.
    4. Cover pot leaving the lid cracked and let boil for 3 minutes.
    5. Take off the heat and let the eggs sit in the water until it cools to room temperature.
    6. Crack and peel. Perfect every time.

BTW, when cracking the shell, hit the fat end (the bottom) on the countertop, then gently crack the other side. The bottom has an air pocket in it that lets you get that first pesky piece of shell and inner skin off, allowing you to peel without destroying the smooth surface of the cooked egg.

5. RabbiKnife

Salt and pepper. Let sit at room temp for about 30 minutes.

Can't say that I really like marinades on good steaks.

6. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

Not good not bad steaks...sirloin, thick. I did not marinade them the other day so I just did so.

7. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I love sirloin. We use a "Montreal Steak Spice" often. Prep like RK's suggestion. Otherwise a teriyaki marinade is always an option but maybe not the best on a thicker cut.

8. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

I ended up with Worcheshire (sp) garlic, red pepper, pepper...small amounts

9. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

Just wanted to share this baked chicken breast recipe I found online because it is simple and delicious.
    I have only tried the spice rub on this page, but there are several others to choose from as you scroll down.

https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/baked-chicken-breast/

10. RabbiKnife

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......... Scooby Snacks!

11. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

Exactly. They will be done in about 22 minutes.

12. teddyv

Looks interesting. Bookmarked for possible use.

13. hisleast

hisleast FISHBEAT!

I've been starting each morning with a Spartan Omlette.
    4 eggs for the base. Two mushrooms, fist full of spinach, 1/3 tomato all chopped fine.
    Makes for a power morning.

Scooby_Snax and TrustGzus like this.
  14. RabbiKnife

How much Spartan do you put in

Dani likes this.
  15. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

I finally cooked stuffed cabbage today. I decided to try alternatives I found for my original Magyar recipe.
    I love the traditional Hungarian recipe my grandmother made, but found that others added smoked meats to the mix-- so I tried it. It is very delicious. I prefer the traditional, but the smokey is a very interesting alternative and might be preferred by some. I am grateful for my heritage-- Holidays are on the horizon, and I hope that others here will also be taking out those tried and true recipes (and sharing them here--*hint *hint* ) It is amazing how smell and taste seem to really bring family together, bringing back fond memories, etc.

16. teddyv

I believe, that smells are the strongest senses tied to memory.

פNIʞƎƎS likes this.
  17. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Agreed.

18. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

We have a functioning kitchen. It’s not finished but it’s functioning now.

ProDeo and פNIʞƎƎS like this.
  19. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Well. That's a start.

20. RabbiKnife

Spinach and apple smoothie for breakfast and lunch.
    4 oz ribeye steak and sauted cockroaches of the sea for dinner.

Ymmmmmm.

פNIʞƎƎS likes this.