Confederate statues down...why now?

Discussion in 'Controversial' started by devilslayer365, Aug 24, 2017.

1. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

So, anybody else find it odd that for many decades NOBODY was calling for the removal of Confederate statues? However, now that Trump is President, they've suddenly become "offensive?" Anybody buying this crap?

2. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Actually it was already offensive during the Obama regime. Remember the Dukes of Hazard being taken of the air. People need to complain about something I guess.

3. TrustGzus

TrustGzus Don't make me hangry Staff Member

What?!?!?! I missed that. I better go buy me a set on Amazon before I can never watch them again.

4. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

5. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I have come across some discussion that a lot of these Confederate statues have been put up over the last several years. I don't if it's really that much of an argument to take them down, but it's not like all of these are old historic pieces.

6. teddyv

The whole Confederate flag issue does seem a bit larger though. The Dukes of Hazzard is just a collateral matter.

7. TrustGzus

TrustGzus Don't make me hangry Staff Member

8. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I don't remember that. But do you recall mass hysteria among liberals / progressives during Obama's time in office where all these statues were being demanded to be brought down? I know I don't...

9. teddyv

What seems to have precipitated the removals lately was the 2015 shooting in Charleston. Oddly enough wikipedia has a page on monument removal (fairly new, so I'd be careful with that) but has an interesting graph showing that the erection of monuments (and other Confederate related things) was primarily during the Jim Crow years and the Civil Rights years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removal_of_Confederate_monuments_and_memorials

10. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Ok, BEFORE 2015, why was there no outcry to have these "traumatic reminders" of the Civil War (and slavery in particular) removed? Many of these statues have been up for SEVERAL DECADES. Within the last couple of years (especially the last few weeks) they've SUDDENLY become "unbearable?" Nope. Not buying it. This is a political thing from the left. They think they're "getting even with Trump and conservative America." Period.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  11. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

I'm all for cultural purges; clean history, and all that. Oh, also, it lets you blame the other guy for all the things you did. /cynicism

12. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

13. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

They've actually been offensive to many for a long time - I remember demonstrations in Memphis in the 70's.

Very curious thing actually. A large part of the populace decended from slavery, getting to see daily these larger than life icons, riding on horses, depicted as heroes.
    They lost that very costly war, thank God, and their relics belong in museums, at best.

An aside: It's been a tremendous, if not embarassing, curiosity all my life: folks inflamed with the notion of superiority, or supremacy.

14. Kierkegaard

KKK membership is estimated at <3,000 members nationwide, plus any still in the closet. Or 63,000,000, depending on the media source.

TrustGzus likes this.
  15. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL.

We need to rename the nations capital... named after a notorious slave-owner.

16. Kierkegaard

Don't let the protestors know where their clothes and tech comes from.

17. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL.

They obviously come from companies owned by rich white people, so we'll be taking care of that next.

18. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

We have several similar things going on here for quite some years. For instance, your Santa Claus originates from the Dutch Sinterklaas assisted by Black Pete. Ted probably remembers. Problem: Pete is black. And it was made a topic 4-5 years ago by a handful of (colored) Dutch in the media because Black Pete reminds them on the slavery history of the Netherlands and they called the yearly child feast (a highlight for kids) on December the 5th racist.

And they came far, many organisations, commercials, super markets, TV broadcast stations have banned Black Pete and replaced the character with any other color than black. So now we have Orange Pete, Rainbow Pete, Speckled Pete etc. etc. If I were a negro I would feel discriminated :)

Another issue would be the national monument of our slavery history in Amsterdam. When it was unveiled in 2002 there was hardly any interest. Now with the still raging Black Pete discussion the yearly memorial gets a lot of attention even makes it to the headlines on the news.

Maybe it's a good thing.

19. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I'm wondering if the people calling for the removal of these statues are actually stupid enough to think that removing the statues suddenly makes it as if slavery never happened. Are they really THAT stupid?

20. Kierkegaard

Of course they think it happened. It's just your fault, not theirs.