Brussels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dani, Mar 22, 2016.

1. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

As Christianity is supposed to be and as it was in the first century.

2. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

So is Christianity (or at least it's supposed to be). We just don't notice because we live in a culture that has been heavily influenced, historically, by Christianity. If you looked at it from the other side, as Christian you would not assimilate into an Islamic society: you would exist within it, you would be subject(ed) to it, but you would not assimilate because it would require that you give up your Christian beliefs.

3. Athanasius

My generation doesn't. White men are the cause of all the world's problems, and that's what drives many 'social justice' movements - these poor refugees, we did it to them! That's why you see young Swedes, or young Dutch men running off to fight with ISIS, or Daesh, or whatever we want to call it. That's why the 'art' is complete nihilistic nonsense. That's why some EU countries, like Germany, will bend-over backgrounds to prove to the world that they really aren't Nazi's anymore - and look at all the terrible things Europe did the world in the 18th and 19th centuries, feel guilty!

Merkel is going to ruin Germany and bring down the EU with her. But I agree, we should help the legitimate war refugees; but we won't help them by ruining our own countries, or by taking away the bright minds from theirs. They are, no doubt, also bringing with them the cultural attitudes that have kept their countries in the middle ages, that they would want to see implemented in whatever EU country they land in, like Sweden - which is in the process of imploding.

By the time Europe responds it will be lost; Europe simply doesn't believe in itself, or have the self-conviction to defend itself. It's too ashamed of the past, made to feel guilty. You don't come back from letting in millions of people who, nice as they may be, are culturally, politically, religiously, etc., at odds with the countries that have let them in. If it's to be a war of ideology, Europe will readily prostrate itself in some sick attempt to absolve itself from past sins.

4. Dani

Dani You're probably fine.

Yep, that's the trend in the US right now also. If you're white, you're racist and should feel guilty for enslaving the rest of the world, and seek to make restitution.

Well, you're not enslaving anyone right now, and you didn't do it back then either since you weren't alive, but you should prove to the rest of the country that you're not a racist slave owner anyway. Preferably by just handing everything over and not breathing, because shame on you.

5. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

Since this thread quickly moved from a Prayer Request to a non-prayer related discussion, I've moved it here.

Carry on.

teddyv.

6. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

I remember in an online discussion some years ago I posted something like "If my great-great-great-great-grandfather was really mean to your great-great-great-great grandfather, I'm really sorry but it's really nothing to do with me because it was long before I was born. Can we move on now?"

But whether it's white people as a whole engaging in ongoing hand-wringing because of the slave trade, or Germany engaging in hand-wringing to prove that the Nazi regime really is in the past, the capacity for self-loathing in the west appears to know no bounds.

7. Athanasius

And if the West ever lies in ruins some of the survivors will be saying, 'we deserved it'.

8. Dani

Dani You're probably fine.

"I'll be your conductor for today's guilt trip. Tickets please! All aboard!"

[​IMG]

9. teddyv

Want to hear a sad fact? I know that the locomotive is an EMD SD60M. ;.;.

10. Athanasius

Tell me more, Sheldon ;)

11. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

Geek

0:0

12. teddyv

I full embrace the geekdom, as well as the attendant pies.

13. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

I miss the Northern Pacific passenger trains with the Dome cars :( 8)

(and the Sidetrack cafe)

14. teddyv

Do you mean this version

[​IMG]

Derailing this thread almost seems required at this point, but I'll stop now.

15. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

That's the one. As a kid, I travelled regularly in the Northwest, through Montana, Idaho, Washington etc

NP had a few monumental crashes in mountainous regions in the 60's, I recall.

End of derail.

16. Liquid Tension

Liquid Tension No, it's NOT a fish!!!

17. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Off the wagon, maybe :p

18. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

Lots of truth in there regarding the burden of historical guilt.

As said before, the worst scenario is ending-up as Israel, they have been facing Palestinian terror since the 60's and are doing well. I suppose Europe can learn a lot from Israel.

19. Athanasius

Starting with self-belief, or else it won't end up as Israel.

20. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

There is self-belief but of the wrong kind, the expansion drift. The EU expanded and expanded to the East much to the dislike of Russia. Then when Ukraine (more or less) fell in the hands of the West Putin draw a line in the sand, till here and no further. I don't think they got the message in Brussels, the headquarter in the EU. For instance:

The EU is going to sign a treaty with the Ukraine. It's mainly about trade, but also contains some pages about politics, even it gives some kind of guarantee it will defend the Ukraine borders. The latter is laughable. All EU countries intend to sign.

One (small) obstacle, there is an advisory referendum in the Netherlands about this treaty this week. The "NO" camp leads significant in the polls because this treaty is seen as a forerunner of an EU membership and perhaps later even a NATO membership. It's a poker game the EU plays with Russia.