Bible Verses, do you look down on those that don't know it that well?

Discussion in 'Controversial' started by ChristianInspiration, May 31, 2017.

1. I have come across some individuals that are religious that get kind of offended if you don't know the bible like the back of your hand. I feel that ultimately it doesn't matter how well you do or don't, as long as you truly believe and understand it to the best of your ability and are willing to follow it to the best of your knowledge, what's your opinions on this?

2. TrustGzus

TrustGzus Don't make me hangry Staff Member

Truly believe what?

3. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL.

If you don't know the Word, and believe that Jesus was just a good teacher, does that do you any good, no matter how sincerely you may believe?

Believing the wrong idea sincerely only means that you are sincerely wrong.

4. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Anybody that believes if you don't know the Bible "like the back of your hand" it means you're a horrible Christian...well, those people are arrogant. Nobody knows it all. The Christian walk is ongoing. Lifelong, even. Anybody that thinks they know it all is, to be quite blunt, full of crap. Avoid them like the Black Plague...

5. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Ah, the nebulous 'some'.

פNIʞƎƎS likes this.
  6. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

*Some* people say the dangdest things.

7. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

Unless it's from those people.

8. TrustGzus

Not completely on track but reminds me of this......

This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody’s job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn’t do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have.

פNIʞƎƎS likes this.
  9. פNIʞƎƎS

Well said Joe. Well said.

10. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I think knowledge, to a point, is a good thing. Even desirable. However, too many people become a little smug and prideful when they feel like they know so much more than others, including some Christians and their biblical knowledge.

11. פNIʞƎƎS

Can you elaborate on exactly you mean when you say "as long as you truly believe". It's very open ended. A lot of people believe in a lot of different things.

12. TrustGzus

I don't think he's ever coming back.

13. פNIʞƎƎS

That's a shame.

14. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Then what is his point in even posting here?

15. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I've got a question to add. How much knowledge SHOULD a Christian have about the Bible? I mean, at minimum?

16. פNIʞƎƎS

I think that's dependent on each individual. Personally I believe I need to know as much as I'm able to learn. For personal growth, and to be as effective as I can for God's purpose.
    I'd say at minimum, a full understanding of the Gospel so that a person is not subject to be deceived by cults or other nefarious characters.
    Just like in any other aspect in life, the more you know, the better you are equipped to do your job.

17. The Parson

The Parson Your friendly neighborhood parson Staff Member

Each according to their gifts Aaron.

18. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

This wasn't me asking this. Is ChristianInspiration's name Aaron as well?

19. hisleast

hisleast FISHBEAT!

If I was a Christian, I would hope that the answer is extremely relative.
    I think back to this guy at the church I grew up in. Ron was a simple man. Sharp as a medicine ball. Didn't read much of anything more than he had to, and comprehended even less. Needed help with all the basic life-stuff like taking care of bills and rent and such.
    But if something needed doing in the community, Ron was probably already doing it.

I'd hate to imagine the eternal torment that kind soul will experience for getting a couple bits wrong.

20. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

That's why we leave it up to God, who if He's perfectly just, gracious, merciful, etc., will judge Ron as such.