Autism | Asperger

Discussion in 'Controversial' started by ProDeo, Dec 30, 2017.

1. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

Some time ago one of my daughters was diagnosed with Asperger. Curiously I started to read the WIKI and one specific part (from the wide spectrum) fitted me almost exactly. Yesterday a friend of mine (diagnosed with Asperger) made me aware of this test.

https://www.aspergerstestsite.com/aq-test/

Your AQ Test Score is: 26
    The official criteria for Asperger's Syndrome is an AQ score greater than 32.

According to statistical analysis, 26 � 31 Is a borderline score.

86% of people with a score of 26-31 can be correctly classified as having Asperger's Syndrome.

Seems that the average male score is 17, female 15.

2. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Why be average
    Your AQ Test Score is: 40
    (But I already knew this.) At 26 you likely have character traits typical of Aspergers, but a psychologist might need convincing to put you firmly in the Aspie camp. Or rather, Autist camp, as Aspergers as a diagnosis is disappearing into Autism generally.

Here's another: https://psychology-tools.com/empathy-quotient/score.php
    Your Empathy Quotient score was 8 out of a possible 80.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    ProDeo likes this.
  3. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL.

My brothers from other mothers....

AQ of 27

EQ of 8

My idea of pastoral counseling is "suck it up."

ProDeo likes this.
  4. ProDeo

:)
    Same as my daughter. She is very creative. Seems to be (in general) one of those positive aspects of Asperger.
    Yep. I am happy with the number since it would explain some of my crinkles of which I have made peace with myself after decades of struggle.
    :rolleyes:

Your Empathy Quotient score was 58 out of a possible 80.
    Scores above 30 are generally not indicitive of an Autism Spectrum disorder.
    Higher scores indicate greater levels of empathy.

But a score like this I already knew from similar polls.

5. ProDeo

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  6. ProDeo

7. Kierkegaard

For the depression test (that's severely depressed, for those wondering):
    Your score was 24 out of a possible 30.
    And the other empathy test:
    Your score was 16 out of a possible 64 points.

8. Kierkegaard

I'd imagine so, if the person in question lacks the necessary empathetic structures (or has them, but has no way of accessing them). What that doesn't mean to me, however, is that such people are uncaring, or aren't concerned about the well-being of others. What it does mean, is that this care, concern, etc., isn't guided by, or doesn't come as naturally as it would for someone who does have access to those structures. Rather than being some kind of inherent 'knowing', I - at least - process my responses intellectually. It's the difference between (true story) someone telling my wife that their beloved dog had to be put to sleep, and her sympathizing as a natural response, and that same person telling me afterwards, and my responding with 'oh yeah, so are you getting another?' without thinking about why they were telling me, how the death had affected them, what they were looking for out of me, etc. I grew up with dogs and I still couldn't tell you why the death of one is any big deal - just get another, or none at all. I don't understand the emotional connection that's built between owner and pet.

Alternatively, there are suggestions out there that people with Aspergers actually feel too much empathy, but it's such an intense feeling that it's eventually shut down, cornered off, disconnected from, etc.

9. ProDeo

I did the test again from the point of view of my last depressive period (1988-91) and then indeed I understand what you mean by severe. :(

10. Kierkegaard

Yeah, I don't really know what to do about it. It just kind of 'is', and while I'm not contemplating suicide, I'm also not terribly motivated. I think it's this whole adoption business, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL.

Shorter daylight hours
    Artificial unrealistic expectations that turning the page on a calendar somehow changes reality

The stupidity of "holiday" celebrations.

Having to deal with idiots that I would otherwise not have to endure during the season...

No, I can't think of any reason to be depressed....

12. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Your AQ Test Score is: 20
    The official criteria for Asperger’s Syndrome is an AQ score greater than 32.

13. Kierkegaard

Way to ruin the hype train :(

14. ProDeo

Worse. My other daughter scored 10. Same parents, same education, same school, same everything, yet 10 <> 40.

15. ProDeo

2018 here in the meantime. I clearly remember a few dominant thoughts of my 1988-91 period, dominant in the sense of realizations. One was the total impotence to change the depression back to normal, no matter how hard I tried, fought, prayed, etc. the despair wouldn't go away. Until at a certain moment I gave up the fighting, totally exhausted. Sort of what I colored blue in your text, sort of acceptance, it is what it is. And I noticed it gave relief. It did not cure the depression, that came later, but it took away half of the suffering.

16. Kierkegaard

Well, you wouldn't expect them to look the same, or sound the same, or act the same (assuming they aren't twins), so it turns out that one daughter is 'neurotypical', and the other isn't. Go figure. My dad has aspergers I'm pretty sure, but neither of my brothers do. Who knows what rhyme or reason there is to that.

17. Kierkegaard

That's sort of where I'm at, just waiting for the 'aha!' moment.

18. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

My AQ is 22, apparently.

My head is a bit weird but so far I've never quite worked out if its something specific or I'm just odd.

19. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

Empathy was 21,which did surprise me. Maybe I'm just a sociopath or something.

20. ProDeo

Indeed. Old school (in a nutshell) states - bad parenting or a traumatic event and so the shrinks put your life on the rack in order to find the sting and then take it out. New school doesn't exclude the old school line of thinking but has come to realize they have underestimated the genetic factor. What I have seen around me in other families I can only agree, so many parents feel guilt and/or failure, so many people blame their problems on their parents (bad youth etc.) because of old_school_ONLY thinking while there often is nobody to blame except for the genetic make-up of the brain. As it apparently is with my 2 daughters.