"All we like sheep"

Discussion in 'Devotions' started by Graceblest, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Graceblest

Graceblest Member

Let me begin with a Scripture from Isaiah 53:6 and then comment:
    “All we like sheep have gone astray: we have turned everyone to his own way, and the Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all.”

When I was a little girl, my father, among many other things, raised sheep. It was something that had been in his family for quite awhile. Now sheep are interesting creatures, but they are not the smartest of animals. A flock will follow one sheep into trouble and sometimes real danger. My grandmother always carried a “big stick” whenever she went into the sheep lot. One day my mother ended up on her “bumpus” on the ground when a ram butted her off her feet from behind. So, sheep aren’t always the nicest critters!

Occasionally, a mother sheep will reject her own lamb. Papa would bring the lamb into the kitchen, prepare a bottle, and I was allowed to hold and feed the lamb. How sweet! No, not the smell, but they were so cute and cuddly! We were able to save some.

So what’s the spiritual connection here? Simply this: we are all sinners. Like sheep, we’ll wander quite away from our Good Shepherd! Yet, that very Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ, went to a cruel cross and gave His very life for us! (John’s gospel tells us about that!) So when you feel far from God remember this: He will embrace you in His arms, cuddle you in His nail-scared hands, and feed you with His own living Word! So maybe a sheep ain’t so bad after all, if you remember who your Shepherd is! One of my favorite pieces of music is Handel's "Messiah". He created the most beautiful musical setting for that Scripture! I'm so grateful for that Good Shepherd and those who put the beauty of that relationship to beautiful music!

Oh yeah, remember that ram that attacked Mama from behind? Well, yes that was a nasty ram, but we are also told in Scripture that Satan is like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may destroy. Hmm! Maybe a next devotion about another animal! I did get this: when Peter tried to tell Jesus that he would follow and even be willing to die for Him, Jesus told him, “Get thee behind me, Satan.” When tempted, I sometimes say the same thing: “Get thee behind me”, and then I add, “and don’t push!”

2. Timothy

Timothy Administrator Staff Member

This is wonderful Gracey. And I never knew you were a farm girl...

3. Graceblest

Graceblest Member

Give all the praise to the Good Shepherd, Timmy! Actually, Papa was a Fire Chief for a Naval Base thst the Coast Guard took over when I was going into 6th grade, but he had inherited Grandpapa's farm and went over there on weekends and at other times to care for things. It was a small 25 acre place, but we also had a lovely orchard as well as the sheep area: apples, peaches, pears, plums, YUM!I Then, when the Coast Guard took over the base, we did not have to live on base, so we bought a small farm across the river until my parents got a home built a few miles from the base.

I used to love riding with Papa on the tractor, and "helping" him plant the garden, especially radishes, corn, and green beans, but once I got out of high school and college, I became more of a city girl once I got around the bright lights of seminary life in Kansas City and then Louisville. But not quite all of the farm came out of the girl once the girl got off the farm.

4. Theopolis

Theopolis New Member

Well done Graceblest.
    So will the next devotion be about the dragon?

5. Graceblest

Graceblest Member

Hey there, Theophilus! Dragon....HMMMM! Not a bad idea, but did you catch the one on the Lion, The Lion's share?

6. Theopolis

Theopolis New Member

Yes I did. Thank you.

7. Timothy

Your dad had quite a career sis... I would say you still keep a garden somewhere now don't you? By the way, I'm going to start planting a garden for the ministry again this year. At least an acre or so.

Anyway, I agree with Theo. I'd love to see a study on that old dragon. You never can learn enough about him to stay ahead of him with the help of the Lord...

8. Graceblest

Graceblest Member

Thank you, Parson, yes, Papa was a marvelously gifted and talented person. He was a fantastic Christian who had a marvelous bass voice which he used for the Lord, both in the choir and with solos. He was also a Sunday School director, and in the last few years a deacon in his church. He also was wonderful working with wood, creating a magniicent bookcase for us.

OK, with a bit of research, a devotion on that old dragon will come up shortly! I far prefer talking about the Lord than the devil, but we DO need to know who our enemy is and what he can and cannot do! So give me just a bit of time and we'll get there!

9. Timothy

Thank you ma'am. Oh, and I just finished turning over the garden today before church.