1 Thessalonians 5:22 - What does it mean?

Discussion in 'Bible Chat' started by TrustGzus, May 30, 2017.

1. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

Based on something I was reading at another forum, some people think it means don't watch vampire movies.

What is this verse saying?

2. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Hm, does that mean I can't watch Underworld tonight?

The word translated 'appearance' has a couple valid alternatives (form, type, etc.), so I've always taken this to mean exactly what it says, but not in such a way that we're at the continual mercy of a 'weaker person's' conscious, or the accusations of a world that's watching, and waiting for an excuse to condemn - though there's something to be said for being wise. If we hold the end of v21 in parallel with v22, the meaning is pretty straightforward I should hope: 'hold on to what is good, [and] reject every kind of evil'. And, I would ask, what about vampire movies is evil?

3. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Avoid every kind or type of evil, NOT "avoid looking like something evil may be around."

4. TrustGzus

:eek:

5. RabbiKnife

In the church I grew up in, it meant that you could watch Underworld, but you couldn't tell anyone or let anyone see you watching it.

"Appearance," not "substance."

o_O

6. TrustGzus

The TNIV (also known as the Geordi LaForge dramatized audio Bible) has an interesting take on it that I would not be surprised if they nailed it. They tie it in ending a thought on prophecy beginning at verse 19.

19Do not put out the Spirit’s fire. 20Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22reject whatever is harmful.

This does not match the 1984 or 2011 NIV. But I find it interesting. In saying that I should clarify. The 1984 chops into several short sentences that might or might not be related. The 2011 has 20-22 as one sentence like the TNIV (or GLDAB) but I think it's a little to bit more formal in translation style. It still is suggesting the same idea as the TNIV.

7. Dani

Dani You're probably fine.

God may see you but nobody else will. So it's probably fine.
    I think evil is pretty well defined in Scripture, so even if we are talking about "appearance", with it being clear that we are not to do things to be noted by people and also not have fear of people, then it certainly can't mean "be careful about doing stuff so judgy people won't talk bad about you or be offended by things you do or say."

8. The Parson

The Parson Your friendly neighborhood parson Staff Member

Must have been a Baptist church...

9. RabbiKnife

A blind squirrel could find that acorn!!!

:cool: